Thursday, May 28, 2009

Last Day of School

Well, the time has come for me to say goodbye to Alaska, Anaktuvuk Pass, Nunamuit school, my students and my new found friends...   I am not good at change and not good at saying goodbye, its going to be hard.  Its going to be really hard... 

But in the end I will be home with my family and friends.  I have lived my dream by moving to Alaska and teaching up here.  It is something I have wanted to do since high school, and early years in college.  I know people thought I would never move up here and never be teaching up here.  I just feel so lucky to say I have done it and I have loved it.  

Being away from my family was hard, there were lots of nights I cried myself to sleep, lots of phone calls I had to end to cry by myself and lots of things I missed out on.  But I have also laughed, had fun, made friends, learned so much, and loved living up here.  It is a different world, it shows what beauty nature has to offer us and it has opened my eyes to life outside Illinois.  I feel so honored to have this experience, and the memories that will live with me forever.

I have made friendships, changed students lives and changed my own life... all in 10 months.  I now know I can do anything I set my mind too.  I can accomplish any dream or goal I have.  I however did not do it alone, I had the help of my parents, sisters, niece, nephew, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.  Without the loved ones in my life I dont think I could have lived out my dream.  I know I am stubborn, but I had to have the support to help me get where I am.  I owe all you a BIG THANK  YOU!

I have graduated high school, college and accomplished my dream of being a teacher.  I have been to the top of the United States, I have had so many first, I just feel now I am on top of the world.  

I can not wait to share my story with my family, friends, future students, and future generations.  I am so eager to get home and see the faces of the loved ones I miss so much.

I will see everyone as soon as I can.

Lots of love from Alaska  :) 

2 comments:

Amber M said...

Oh my gosh, that made be cry so much. It is so well written though, but yet so sad. I know you are going to miss everyone up there so much, especially Kerri. You will be fine though, once you get home and see all of our smiling faces...lol

I can't wait to see you. I am soooo, sooooo proud of you and am so happy that you went up there. I knew you would do it and love it. You know I couldn't do it by myself. I love you so much. Have a safe trip home...don't get sick on the plane or pass out like I do...lol

sheryl said...

I cried, too. You are such a GREAT writer, Ashley! I am very proud of your accomplishments (slightly jealous) -- You did a fantastic job while completing one of your dreams. I know you passed this knowledge onto your students and they will be forever touched by your knowledge, skills, and positive character!

I can't wait to see you. I miss you and love you! Be safe on your trip to Illinois!